Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tool #8

Taking a Look at the Tools


Unfortunately, I will not have any devices through the "11 tools" in my speech therapy classroom this fall. Apparently, I am not considered a classroom teacher for technology purposes. I am sad because there are numerous apps to help enhance speech therapy for the itouch and ipad. Also, numerous websites that have speech therapy applications and tools for students to practice their speech while on a netbook or any computer for that matter. Before I began the 11 tools I requested that the special education department look into purchasing an ipad for the Housman speech pathologist. I was denied, but encouraged to take the 11 tools so I would know what "the expectations of the teachers are" even though there is no reward for me or my students while in speech therapy. Fortunately for the students at Housman who receive speech therapy, I have my own itunes account and this past year used my iphone religiously with tools to help me and my students. I plan on purchasing my own ipad2. I am not sure if I will want to use it with the students since it is my own personal one, but more than likely I will. MaryLou if you are reading this, can you guess what is on my wish list????


If I get an ipad or and itouch, Iplan to manage the device(s) in speech therapy by setting up a work station with an application that a student can use for practicing whatever skill it is they are learning. For example, I have an awesome app for students who need help with putting things into groups or categorinzing. A fun way to practice, and it keeps a percentage for me so I can see how well the student did. Some of the apps I use may be helpful for the younger grades.

1 comment:

  1. You'll have to do lots of speech classes in the library!

    ReplyDelete